Saturday, November 15, 2008

VAMOS (Let's Go)

Written: 11/15/08

Well the last time I wrote we were in the middle of a broken down tractor. Well kids, I have good news. IT'S FIXED!!!


The day after (Wednesday) we took the tractor to the mechanics place, it rained on us a lot. In the last 4 days we have gotten over 4 inches of rain at Rondonia, however we have ran the planter the last two days. We are able to do this because of the types of soil (very sandy) and the power of the sun. Anyways, we are starting to get things done pretty fast. Today was a full day and hopefully a full night. During the day I was covering about 40 acres an hour, only stopping for seed every 4-5 hours. It's pretty cool when the sun goes down because you can see everyone else scrambling to get seed in the ground as fast as you can. It's different here because it's so flat that you can see a long ways, which you can see many farms in action. If we get 4-24 hour periods of planting, we will have our corn done. (around 8,000 acres total)

Funny thing happened to me today. I think a lot about what I want to eat when I get back to the states, and today when I got out of the tractor in the field I smelled maple syrup. I thought to myself, "boy wouldn't it be nice to have a big stack of pancakes tomorrow morning??" I think possibly the Furadan is getting to me........ (Furadan is a insecticide that we have treated our corn with. Oh by the way, its been banned in the United States for like 20 years)

Well I'm off to bed, hoping to wake up to a tractor still planting.

Signing off................

- Hrubes

No comments: