Monday, December 1, 2008

What a day......

Written 12/1/08

Well today started off with a step forward. We finally finished corn (which should have been done this time last week), and then we moved on to beans. First step was to calibrate the planter so we were getting the correct population. I wasn't thinking obviously when I forgot to change the transmission from low to high, and I was wondering why we couldn't get any more seeds. Dino was getting frustrated as I was too, however he wanted to blame it on the new precision discs that we put into the planter. These discs can do corn, soybeans, popcorn, and cotton, which is new to both Dino and I. We are use to a disc for each crop. Anyways after that fiasco, we were running. We finished a little spot in the afternoon before I was suppose to head to the other end of the farm to start on a 750 acre field.

Made sure I had Diesel, cookies, my ipod, tang, and everything else, then I headed out. As I was leaving the yard, the bead came off one of the main tires on the planter. (this tire had been junk for a while, not holding much air anyways, it was the only tire to have a tube as well.) Dino and I looked at it and decided to limp it to the other end of the farm (prolly 10-15 miles). About 3/4 of the way there I hear a huge BANG!! I knew right away what it was. Luckily I was right next to one of our fields, so I started to pull it in (40 feet or so). Well since both tires on one side were out, I was riding on rims and the planter wanted to tip over so bad. Of the other two tires, only one was touching ground. I was a little nervous to say the least.

We will have to see what tomorrow brings. Supposidly were going to try and plant with 2 main tires since when it is unfolded, there isn't much pressure on the wheels.

To add insult to injury, my ipod fried today. Now I will just have to listen to myself whistle while I work. Not happy!!

Brazilian Proverb (I made this up): Man who wants convenience, doesn't come to Brazil

Peace out!!


Signing off............

-(a frustrated) Hrubes

No comments: